The Greek State Scholarships Foundation (Ι.Κ.Υ.) will offer up to thirty (30) scholarships for nationals from selected countries who wants to purse further education/postgraduate studies/postdoctoral research in Greece in the academic year 2013-2014 for the following fields o f study
1. Postgraduate studies in combination with Modern Greek Language courses in a school of Modern Greek Language, at a state Greek University only during the first year of the scholarship.
a) Master’s Degree (one (1) year up to two (2) years).
b) Doctorate (PhD) (one (1) year up to three (3) years).
2. Postdoctoral research (six (6) months up to one (1) year) in combination with optional Modern Greek Language courses in a School of Modern Greek Language, at a state Greek University.
3. Further education in the following subject areas: Greek Language, Literature, Philosophy, History and Art aimed for professors of Greek studies at Universities abroad (six (6) months up to one (1) year).
4. Specialisation in Fine Arts (attendance of seminars) – one (1) year in combination with optional Modern Greek Language courses in a School of Modern Greek Language, at a state Greek University.
5 Collection of research data for applicants who are conducting PhD studies in their country, (one (1) year).
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Fifteen (15) scholarships to nationals of Balkan and Eastern European countries (non-member states of the European Union), Asia, Africa and Latin America and Fifteen (15) scholarships to nationals (foreigners or/of Greek origin) of the European Union Member States, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, U.S.A., Canada, Japan and Oceania.
1. 600,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) as a fixed contribution for initial expenses.
2. Free cost emergency medical treatment under the National Health Service (in public hospitals). European citizens should have the European Insurance – Illness Card from their insurance agency of their country.
The scholarships for postgraduate, doctoral studies, specialization in the Fine Arts and collection of research data include a monthly allowance of 600,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) for living expenses, whereas for postdoctoral and further education studies (in the Greek Language, Literature, Philosophy and Art), a monthly allowance of 800,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation).
3. The full cost of tuition fees (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) to attend courses in a state School of Modern Greek Language at a Greek University, provided only during the first year of the scholarship (where applicable).
The scholarships for doctoral studies include as well: a) up to 300,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) to cover binding and printing costs of the PhD thesis at the end of the scholarship and b) up to 300,00€ (net amount – taxes are excluded which are paid by this Foundation) to cover research costs (e.g. consumables) if such expenses are required by the programme of studies.
– Grants are not available to fund travel expenses and attendance at conferences, seminars, symposia or research activities.
– No additional assistance or funds are provided for the spouse or other dependants of the scholarship holder (if you plan to bring your family with you, you will need to consider cost issues carefully).
– The scholarship will be withheld for periods spent outside Greece without the prior permission of this Foundation.
1. Be foreign nationals.
2. Hold only foreign citizenship (not both foreign and Greek).
3. Not exceed the age limit by the application deadline as follows:
1., 4. and 5 categories of scholarships: are aged 35 years (year of birth after 1978 and onwards)
b. category of scholarships: are aged 40 years (year of birth after 1973 and onwards)
category for medical doctors: are aged 40 years (year of birth after 1973 and onwards)
c. category of scholarships: are aged 55 years (year of birth after 1958 and onwards)
4. Hold a graduate degree from a foreign recognised higher education institute.
5. Hold a postgraduate degree (Master’s or equivalent) from a foreign or a Greek University for prospective PhD applicants. This postgraduate degree is not a prerequisite for the following categories:
– specialisation in the Fine Arts (d. category)
– collection of research data (e. category)
– those who are legally residents in Greece whilst undertaking PhD studies.
– Applicants for postdoctoral research studies must hold a doctoral degree (PhD) completed at a foreign or a Greek University. However, their graduate degree (Bachelor) should be from a foreign University.
– For further education (in the following specific subject areas of study: Greek Language, Literature, Philosophy, History and Art), applicants should be professors in a Department of Greek studies at a foreign University. A certified document from this Department showing their employment must also be submitted along with all relevant documentation.
– Medical doctors should have either completed their specialty or hold a postgraduate degree (equivalent to Master’s). The scholarship is strictly offered for postgraduate/doctoral studies and not for work or internship in a state hospital.
6. Have a very good command of English or French.
7. Have never been on a scholarship from the I.K.Y. (those who have been granted a scholarship for the IKY Programme “Greek Language and Culture” are entitled to apply).
8. Have not undertaken studies in Greece on a scholarship provided by any Greek authority.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants meeting the above requirements by the application deadline should submit the application form and requirements through the Greek Diplomatic Authorities in their country of residence (or in a neighbouring country in case of absence of a Greek Embassy or Consulate in their country) the following. The application deadline is 26 July 2013.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.iky.gr/en/press/item/789-announcement