The Crick African Network is currently accepting applications for African Career Accelerator Awards for those who will provide Fellowship support for African postdoctoral researchers aiming to make the transition to becoming an independent researcher and launching their own research group. Interested applicants should see details on how to apply for the £130,000 Crick African Network African Career Accelerator Postdoctoral Research Awards for 2018-2019 academic year.
The awards further seek to invest in early-career researchers who have demonstrated strong scientific and leadership potential, as well as a commitment to continuing their research on the African continent.
Fellowships are awarded to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
Field of study:
Thematic areas of the research must focus on infectious diseases of poverty with an emphasis on Tuberculosis, Malaria and HIV/AIDS, but also extending to neglected tropical diseases or non-communicable diseases. There exist opportunities for clinical research, however, the possibility will have to be discussed specifically with potential supervisors/advisors and their institutions to confirm availability of resources to support the research.
Six (6) fellowships will be awarded a value of up to approximately £130,000.
Host Country of Scholarship:
The programme will be held in two locations: The Francis Crick Institute (‘the Crick’, UK) and at one of the five (5) African partner institutions: The University of Ghana (Ghana), Stellenbosch University (South Africa), University of Cape Town (South Africa), MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM (The Gambia) and MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit.
Country Eligible For The Scholarship:
Available to applicants of 55 African nations.
Eligibility For The £130,000 Crick African Network African Career Accelerator Postdoctoral Research Awards:
To be eligible for the award, applicants must adhere to the following;
- Must be from one of the 55 countries listed. See link above for the listed countries.
- Applicants must also have a PhD and have no more than six (6) years post-doctoral research experience (with allowances for legitimate career breaks) but more than 2 years post-doctoral experience unless the applicant has an outstanding track record, supported by publication and employment history.
How To Apply For The Scholarship:
- Applicants must first submit a mandatory Expression of Interest (EoI) form available online from 23rd April, 2018 at the following link: https://www.crick.ac.uk/media/414599/can_aca_expression_of_interest_form.pdf
- Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements, will be invited to discuss their proposed research with suggested supervisors to refine research plans.
- Eligible applicants will be provided with the link to the online application portal which opens on Wednesday 23rd May 2018
- Applicants who are successful at the full application stage will be invited for interview to be held in September 2018.
- The outcome of applications will be announced on 1st October 2018.
Interested applicants are to visit: https://www.crick.ac.uk/african-network/fellowships for more information on the application process.
Application Closing Date:
- Submission of Expression of Interest form is due on 1st July, 2018
- Submission of full application for eligible applicants is on 1st August, 2018
For more scholarship opportunities to study abroad click here: http://easyscholarships.info/category/scholarships/