The Heidelberg Graduate School for the Humanities and Social Sciences at Heidelberg University (HGGS), in cooperation with the DAAD Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) is inviting applications for the €1.200 DAAD-GSSP Doctoral Scholarships from highly motivated, excellent PhD candidates with a strong interest in interdisciplinary research. The HGGS also invites at this time also applications for Graduate Membership. The earliest starting date is 1 February 2019. See details below for more information.
Scholarships are available to pursue doctoral degree programme.
Field Of study:
Scholarships are awarded in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
The doctoral scholarships of €1.200 per month with additional benefits are intended for international applicants and have duration of three years, upon approval of an annual report by the graduate scholar and his or her supervisor.
Host Country Of Scholarship:
Country Eligible For The Scholarship:
Internatioanl students are qualified to apply.
Eligibility For The €1.200 DAAD-GSSP Doctoral Scholarships:
To be qualified, the following must be met:
- Applicants must hold an M.A. or equivalent in one of the disciplines of the Humanities and Social Sciences with an above-average grade (at least 1.7, 5.5, B+, 2+, “magna cum laude”, or similar). The transcript has to indicate at least four years of study at the university level.
- Applicant must have excellent knowledge of English or German, in addition to a further language is expected. Knowledge of German can be acquired or improved during the first year of the programme.
- Importantly, applicants are expected to contact a potential supervisor at Heidelberg University in order to discuss their research plans and to obtain a supervision agreement.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to present their projects to the Selection Committee at an interview in Heidelberg or via Skype.
- The University has a strong interest in supporting women and encourages them to apply for the announced positions.
- Applications from disabled candidates with equal qualifications will be given preference.
How To Apply For The Scholarship:
- Completed cover page
- Motivation letter, with a brief description of the qualifications, academic objectives and the research project (max. 2 pages)
- CV with information about the academic career, achieved grades, research projects and research experience, publications (if any)
- Project description of (max. 5 pages) in German or English (including research plans and objectives, critical approach, data, methods, theoretical focus)
- The timescale for the research project
- Transcripts (Bachelor and Master)
- Two letters of recommendation, using the DAAD form if you apply for a scholarship: https://www.daad.de/medien/deutschland/stipendien/formulare/recommendation.doc
- Written supervision agreement by a Professor or PD at Heidelberg University.
If you cannot secure a supervision agreement before the deadline, we will nonetheless accept your otherwise complete application and grant applicants time to secure the agreement.
Applications must be submitted electronically as ONE PDF file to the Coordinator of the HGGS:
Dr. Astrid Wind
E-Mail: [email protected]
The PDF document should be sent in this format: NAME_FirstName_HGGS2018.pdf
Your referees may email their letters to the HGGS: [email protected]
The deadline for the submission of all documents is 31 October 2018.
Application Closing Date:
October 31, 2018
For more scholarship opportunities to study abroad click here: http://afrischolarships.com/category/scholarships/