Canada Post Graduate Work Permit – How To Apply

Canada, Immigration

Most of the International Students are willing to stay in Canada. They wish to obtain experience in the local job market after graduating from the Post-Secondary education. As soon as International Students complete studying in an eligible Program at an eligible Canadian-Post secondary Institution, they have a right to apply and obtain a Post-Graduate Work Permit. 

This right allows International Graduates to obtain a three-year open work permit, giving them an opportunity to work for any employer in Canada. One of the most important factors is that there is no requirement for holding a job offer from a Canadian employer upon submission of the application for the Permit.

Eligibility Criteria

International students having an intention to obtain a Post-Graduate Work Permit must:

  • Have continuously studied full-time for a minimum period of eight months and must have graduated from one of the following institutions:
  1. A private post-secondary institution, operating under the same rules as public institutions
  2. Public post-secondary institutions ( University/College/Trade or Technical School )
  3. Private Secondary or Post-Secondary school ( in Quebec ) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, leading t\o a diplome d’etudes professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de specialization professionnelle (ASP)
  4. Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law, but only if enrolled in a study program leading to a degree as authorized by the province
  • Be 18 years or older upon applying
  • Apply for the Permit within 90 days of, when it has been confirmed that a student completed the program
  • Have a valid study permit upon applying

You may not be eligible in the following cases:

  • If you have studied less than 8 months
  • If you studied more than eight months but not continuously
  • If you took part in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by Global Affairs Canada
  • If you took part in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada
  • If you had a funding from Global Affairs Canada
  • If you took part in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • If you took part in the Canada-China Scholars Exchange Programs
  • If you took part in the Organization of American States Fellowship Program
  • If you have completed a study program by distance learning either from abroad or from within Canada
  • If you already hold a Post-Graduate Work Permit following any other program of study

The length of Post-Graduate Work Permit depends on the length of the study program.

If your program was:

  • Less than eight months, you are NOT eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit
  • More than eight months, but less than two years, your Post-Graduate Work Permit will be valid for the same length as your study
  • Two years or more, the Permit may be issued for three years


Leave a Reply