The Canadian government is offering Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships to qualified students. The scholarship program is designed for the purpose of strengthening Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellent in research and higher learning. The Scholarship demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health. See below for details.
Level/Field of Study
The scholarship is available to pursue Graduate studies in social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health. It is to be taken in Canada. Scholarships is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada as well as international students.
Each Scholarship has a total valued of $50,000 per year.
Eligibility For The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
To be eligible for a Vanier CGS, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- A Canadian institution which must have received a Vanier CGS quota is eligible to nominate an applicant;
- Applicant must be in his/her first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Please note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is qualified for funding;
- Applicant must have the intention to pursue in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution;
- Applicant must not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- Applicant must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. All candidates are strongly advised to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- Applicant who hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree will not be considered.
How to Apply For The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships:
Before starting the application, ensure you read carefully and understand the application instructions. Applications should be written with a non-specialist research audience in mind.
The application documents can be submitted in either French or English language. It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete, including referee assessments.
Please note: Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program except they are nominated by a Canadian institution with a quota at which they want to study.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. The student can either notify the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply for the Vanier CGS program OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Students are to prepare their applications themselves and submit to the Nominating Institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system. The nominating institution then forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by 31 October 2019.
It is mandatory for all candidates to visit the official website to access the application form and to be aware of the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Application process: general information
- In ResearchNet, complete all tasks listed for the Vanier CGS application.
- Preview the Full Application Package version of your application in ResearchNet, using the “Preview Application Materials” task, to ensure that your application is complete. Note: What you see previewed is exactly how your application will look when submitted electronically to the Canadian nominating institution and to the Vanier CGS program.
- Print the entire application.
- Save the PDF version of the entire, completed application.
- Submit the completed electronic application through ResearchNet by completing the “Consent and Submit Application” task. Note: Your application will not be accepted by the nominating institution until you complete this task.
- For technical help, call 1-888-603-4178 or 613-954-1968
- For program-related help, please contact [email protected]
Completing a Vanier CGS application
Tips: The following tips may help you in completing your application on ResearchNet. They are tips only; it is the responsibility of the student to submit a complete application:
- Bold text and stars indicate mandatory fields.
- Please ensure to save any additions or changes before navigating away from the task page(s).
- The status of all tasks must be indicated as complete in order for you to submit your application.
- Students should seek the advice of members of their faculty/department on content-related questions and how best to present the information in the application.
Before 31 Oct 2019 (annual) Course starts May/Sept 2019