The Gardiner Scholarship Program for 2019/2020 academic year is currently ongoing. The scholarship program is been offered by the Step Up For Students organization. The scholarship is designed for special needs children. It helps parents personalize the education plan for their children with special needs. Gardiner Scholarship program differs from other state scholarships in that parents are allowed to individualize their children with unique skills and also let them have a better future. The average amount for students in the 2019 school year is $10,000. Applicants are advised to apply immediately as late application will not be processed. See below for further details.
Level/Field of Study
The Scholarship is open to Florida Student from 3 years to 22 years old or 12th grade with special needs or disabilities.
The Step Up For Students is a USA state-approved nonprofit scholarship funding organization that administers scholarships for Florida school children.
Some of the scholarships they administer include The Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Program (FTC) for low-income children and Gardiner Scholarship (PLSA) for children with special needs.
The Gardiner Scholarship Program 2019 is open to only USA citizens or permanent residents in Florida, USA.
The funding of the scholarship is prorated based on the date the student is found eligible by the SFO.
- Applications which are received on or before August 1 and found eligible on or before September 1 = 100%
- Applications which are received on or before October 1 and found eligible on or before November 1 = 75%
- The Applications which are received on or before January 1 and found eligible on or before February 1 = 50%
- Applications which are received on or before March 1 and found eligible on or before April 1 = 25%
However, the amount varies based on the counties and grades.
Eligibility For The Gardiner Scholarship Program
- Students must be citizen of Florida. Must be from 3 years to 22 years old 12th grade, whichever comes first, with the following disabilities: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Spina Bifida, Williams Syndrome, Phelan-McDermid Syndrome, or Delayed Mind ( severe cognitive impairment).
- Students aged 3, 4 or 5 who are lagging behind or deemed ‘high risk’ due to developmental delays may be eligible for the year they apply. (Please note that students must not be older than 5 on September 1st.)
- Students need an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) from a Florida school district or an official diagnosis from a Florida-licensed physician or psychologist.
- Students must be at least 3 or 4 years old on September 1st. The incoming kindergarten students must be 5 years on or before 1 September. First-grade students should be 6 years old by 1st of September.
- Students can participate in the Gardiner Scholarship Program (PLSA) as part of home education. However, they can not be registered on any other state-sponsored scholarship (McKay Scholarship or Florida Tax Credit Scholarship).
How To Apply For The Gardiner Scholarship Program
Renewal Families: If your child uses a Step Up Gardiner scholarship (formerly PLSA) for the 2017-2018 school year, to apply for the 2019, use your existing user name and password to login.
New Families: They also accepting scholarship applications for the 2019 school year, with priority being given to previously waitlisted students. All applicants must have an email address to create an online application. If you do not have an active email address, create one first to start the application.
First-time applicants, please visit the scholarship website to begin your applocation.
All applications should be made on or before June 30, 2019, as funding priority will be given to those who submitted before the stated deadline.
However, all new students found eligible for the Gardiner Scholarship 2019 will be placed on a waitlist, due to a requirement to provide renewal students priority.
If you have any questions, you can call 1-877-735-7837